From our readersIssue Date: March 16, 2018
Thanks to all the Lena area businesses that donated prizes, the annual FFA Alumni fundraiser bowling tournament was a great success.
The funds that are raised go to scholarships, help fund FFA students go to the National FFA Convention which is a great experience and send FFA members to the Washington FFA Leadership conference. In the past this also helped to fund the Lena Ag Dept. Greenhouse.
Those individuals and companies making donations to make the bowling tournament a success were Romy's Holiday Inn, the Bavarian Inn, Ray's Boneyard, Oconto Electric Cooperative, Peshtigo National Bank, Papa Bears, Green Stone Farm Credit Service, Vanderloop Farm Equipment, Jason Long, Vintage Insurance and Timber Rattlers.
In addition, Lena Lanes, Steel Moose, Huberty's State Farm Insurance, Green Bay Packers, The Store, Seneca, Rhodes-Charapata Funeral Home, Jagiello Dairy Farm LLC, Graef Transport, Inc., Ron and Bobbie Windus, Beaver Machine, Dair-Ray Veterinary Service, Mike and Wendy Klaus, Kwik Trip, Peshtigo Veterinary, Troy and Brittany Klaus, Jo Hipke Family, Milwaukee Brewers, Pelkin's Smokey Meat Market, Lena Village Lanes, Peterson Dairy, Lena Fire Department, Cory's Crank and Nail, Nadler's Automotive, Kelby Cook Constrution, Green Bay Gamblers, Tim and Laurie Graef, and Associated Bank.
A big THANK YOU TO ALL from Wendy and Mike Klaus of the Lena FFA Alumni
Letter to Editor:
To the people of the Town of Lake in Marinette County:
On Monday, Feb. 26, 2018, the Planning Commission and the Road Committee met to discuss 2018 road projects. One of these road projects is the Oak Lane project. The tentative budget for this is $37,000 to $50,000.
When it was brought up to restore Oak Lane as a recreational boat launch, our chairman, Dan Banauck stated, " only ten or twelve people would have any use for this road."
Oak Lane, as it is known today, was established as a deeded road to the shoreline of Lake Noquebay on Feb. 26, 1925. This road was used as a boat launching site before it was deeded. It was also used for commerce and for recreation. These uses did not stop after it became a deeded road.
As time went on, private property owners infringed on the roads' width and its natural grade to the lake; this is in violation of Wisconsin State Law.
The present assessed value of Oak Lane and its frontage on Lake Noquebay, according to RR Assessing is $84,000. The width of Oak Lane today is sixty (60) feet. The price per foot is $1,400.
If you a a Town of Lake resident, please show up and vote on this project at our annual meeting on April 17. If you own property and lane but are not a resident, please show up and vote your support for this project.
The eight (8) people that worked to obtain the original deed on Oak Lane in 1925 had a vision for it's use that we hope to carry on.
Planning Commission and
Road Committee Member
Letter to Editor:
Where's The Beef?
I just finished reading the Referendum Information pamphlet mailed to me on March 9 concerning the upcoming referendum vote set for April 3 for the proposed new Peshtigo School and additional gym space. The most interesting page in the pamphlet and the part that I have The BEEF with is page 5 that has "Survey Says" at the top. It lists percentages that were supposedly drawn from the Peshtigo School District survey taken in November and December of 2017. Respondents could either vote online or by returning the survey by mail.
According to the pamphlet "Survey Says", 77% of all residents are satisfied or very satisfied with the Peshtigo School District. What? This is not only a lie, but it is a gross misrepresentation of the survey results. According to the "Peshtigo School District Community Survey Results" published on the Peshtigo School web site: https://www.peshtigo.k12.wi.us/UserFiles/Servers/Server_155283/File/Referendum/Peshtigo%202017%20Community%20Survey%20Report%20.pdf page 2 of the pdf says the total participation rate for the district survey was only 17%! As is stated in the pdf there were only a grand total of 755 respondents to the survey so there were 4,441 total available respondents to the survey, 3,686 of which did not respond to the survey at all. How can the phrase "of all residents" be used anywhere in this pamphlet? The pamphlet "Survey Says" SHOULD read ඕ% of all RESPONDENTS NOT "of all residents" or a grand total of 581 respondents being satisfied of the 4,441 total available respondents or only 13% of all available respondents are satisfied. We don't know how the other 87% would respond. Now I'm not saying that people are dissatisfied with school district. I am merely arguing the distorted pamphlet propaganda.
Also according to the pamphlet "Survey Says", 56% of all residents said they would support a referendum to build a new Middle/High School. What? Again, this is not only a lie, but is a gross misrepresentation of the survey results. According to the same school web site pdf listed above on page 26 of the pdf, using the same 17% survey participation rate stated in the pdf the pamphlet SHOULD read 56% of all RESPONDENTS NOT "of all residents" support a new referendum or a grand total of 422 respondents out of a total 4,441 available respondents or only 9% of available respondents would support a new school. You will also see on page 26 of the pdf that only 40% of the total RESPONDENTS said they would definitely vote Yes for a new school and 16% of the RESPONDENTS said they would Probably vote Yes. These two categories were lumped together to reach the 56% "Survey Says" number. If we de-lump the two categories only 40% of respondents or 7% of all available respondents would definitely vote Yes for a new school. We don't know how the other 93% would respond.
Also according to the pamphlet "Survey Says", 69% of all residents, when asked how to proceed with the Middle/High School, recommended the District refine the referendum plan based on survey feedback and ask for support through another referendum. What? Once again, this is not only a lie, but is a gross misrepresentation of the survey results. Are you seeing a pattern here? According to the same school web site listed above using the same 17% survey participation rate the pamphlet SHOULD read 69% of all RESPONDENTS want to refine the referendum based on survey results for a grand total of 520 respondents out of a total 4,441 available respondents or only 12% of available respondents want to refine the referendum. We don't know how the other 88% would respond.
This isn't a case of Where's the Beef - but Here's the Bull. It is this kind of surveying that had Hillary in the White House weeks before the election.
As the survey says, Please Vote. If you don't vote, don't complain. But vote based on facts, not what people will tell you to get you to vote their way. And remember, when taxes go up for businesses, they are passed on to you and I. Everything from rent, to gasoline, to what it costs to stay in nursing homes will increase.
Richard A. Spreeman,
"Life's Love Loaf"
I wrote a little recipe
I hope you think its nice,
It doesn't call for sugar,
It doesn't call for spice.
But it does call for a lot of loving,
And the whole family should chip in.
The number one ingredient is
"Christ" without, and "Christ" within.
As each member adds their love,
And learns to care and share,
And folds their hands together,
And look to God in prayer.
God multiplies this loaf of love,
And it begins to grow,
It doesn't only feed your then,
But everyone you know.
Krakow, formerly of Peshtigo
I cannot believe that the new Marinette County Administrator wants to increase our taxes and maybe those of the State of Wisconsin. Can you? His idea to help one employer at the expense of all the other employers and the tax payers is the craziest idea he has had yet and he has had many crazy ideas. $50 million divided up could help many businesses in our county. LOWER sales taxes would help everyone and tourism!
The county board has in their minds solved the crisis in the District Attorney's office by having the state fund the additional assistant district attorney we have needed for years. Trouble is the state's funding does not kick in until 2019. Yes you read that correctly. 2019! While the case back log grows I suspect.
They gave $90,000 to Marinette to help fund their yet to be hired tourism director for this year. It is middle of March and tourism should have been worked on for this year last summer and into the fall. As the owner of vacation property we rent out weekly I can tell you promotion of tourism is done a long time before the tourist season and middle of March. People decide on their vacations usually well before the first of the year and again this is March. It is a one year commitment so that is $10,000 per month.
The inexperienced county administrator is the former manager of the dump (land fill) and he is wanting to eliminate the part time elected coroner position. No idea if this will cost more or less and if services will improve or decline. We don't even know if it works for other counties. The administrator assumes lots of things and the county board follows him like new born puppies follow their momma.
What about the old county jail? Still sucking tax payer funds every day.
I normally suggest that you contact your representatives but I'm not sure how to do that. They don't return emails, letters, phone calls or text messages. If this was a business most of them would be let go. Replacement however isn't possible as few people have the time available during the week day to attend the meeting and committee meetings. If the county board wants to do something good start by changing the meetings to the evenings. OK, maybe start with the committee meetings first?
Attention Town of Brazeau Voters
On April 3rd electors will have the choice to change to an appointed Clerk-Treasurer. Our current Clerk-Treasurer has given the Town Board notice that she will not be seeking re-election in the spring of 2019, leaving the position she has held for many years vacant. Many attempts have been made to recruit a replacement, however, no one has been willing to take on this very important role.
If the position remains elected a write-in candidate with only a few votes could be elected whether they are qualified and willing to learn or not. This has happened in other towns and it can create a lot of problems. The only action that can be taken to remedy a problem is through an election.
If the position is changed to an appointed clerk-treasurer the Town Board would have the ability to hire a candidate best qualified for the position, and could also remove someone who is not fulfilling their job requirements. The search could also be widened to include individuals from outside our Township.
Many other towns across the state have changed to an appointed Clerk-Treasurer in large part because of the complexity and importance of this position. The Clerk-Treasurer position is absolutely key in running a town and there is a fairly large investment required to adequately train someone to fulfill these duties. Please take the time to consider this change as the continued success of our town depends heavily on this position.
The Coleman School Board is faced with an aging dilemma, school buildings that are in excess of a half a century old or older. Infrastructure needs include the repairing of leaking roofs, restrooms that don't meet the necessary standards for the handicapped child, and a desperately needed security system for the entire structure.
In touring both buildings I see the need for updated technology within the classrooms, a larger commons area in both school buildings and an elementary-middle school gymnasium that is in need of a major make-over.
Twenty-five local citizens spent nearly a year reviewing options and developing the most beneficial long range remodeling plan that both benefits our children for years to come and is also the most economical and affordable for our citizenry. Our school is the hub of our community, and the value of a good education is priceless.
I will be voting YES on both questions April 3 for the youth in our community.
Coleman resident for 45 years
On April 3, 2018, there will be two referendum questions on the ballots of municipalities that support the Coleman School District. The first question will ask voters to support improving the school's infrastructure, enhancing security for students, upgrading energy efficiency, restructuring inefficient cafeteria and elementary gymnasium facilities, and, in general, replacing outdated elements of such things as electricity, plumbing, and heating. The second question will ask voters to support STEAM (an acronym for expanded classroom facilities and programming for science, technology, engineering, agriculture, art and math) to provide opportunities for Coleman students to be prepared to compete in secondary education and careers in our rapidly-changing economy and culture.
We urge you to vote "yes" on both questions. Our school system has been recognized by the Department of Public Instruction for "exceeding academic expectations". We need to build upon the successes of the present and past to continue this trend into the future. Moreover, renovating an old structure that is still basically sound is more economical than having to consider a much more expensive alternative of building a new school. Perhaps most importantly in today's culture, we need to do whatever is necessary to insure the safety of our children by controlling and monitoring access to the buildings.
This spring out last referendum will be paid for. By maintaining the tax base that was used to pay for that 20-year referendum as it is and adding forty seven cents for question one and fifty cents for question two, we will be able to satisfy these needs, the result being a yearly increase of eight dollars and nine cents per month (ninety-seven dollars yearly) on one hundred thousand dollars of valuation.
The School Board, the Administration, and the community members of the Coleman Facilities Committee have been active for over a year in planning for the questions. They have reached out to the public with surveys, the result of which revealed a willingness to support these needs at approximately the economic impact outlined herein.
We recall the last referendum question. Our children had completed their education at Coleman and had used their preparation here to become successful in college and later in their career fields of engineering and computer science. I was teaching; Kathie, in business. It was an easy decision for us to support and vote for education. It was also at a time when Kathie's parents, Laverne and Melvin Tackmier, had retired from the small dairy farm next to our home, living on social security income, and land rental. Sometimes it was hard for them to go out for lunch more than a few times between checks; nevertheless, both supported and voted for the referendum believing firmly in the value of education and in the valuable part of that learning that took place in Coleman schools, learning that for so many in their generation had begun in a one-room school.
We firmly believe that education is the best value for our tax dollar and that it is the key to enhancing the future of our society here in Coleman, in other area districts with similar academic success, in our state, and in our nation. Therefore, we endorse these referendum questions as private citizens (not in my case as an elected official) of a community wherein we have enjoyed living with family and friends for many years. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Katie and Jerry Heroux
Recent stories, opinions and photos