From Our Readers...Issue Date: September 8, 2021
Recently I have been thinking about the slow destruction of our American majority rule.
Here is a chronology:
2016- The then-presidential 'little lie', "I won more votes than was legitimately documented'.
2020- The ex-presidential "big lie', "I won, he didn't, do what I say, not him".
2021- state voter suppression laws passing state by state, governor by governor, senator by senator.
01/06/21- "stop the steal' capital insurrection committed and its congressional investigation stalled.
The ex-presidential "bigger lie "It didn't really happen'.
06/22/21- federal protected voting access discussion stopped in senate by republican partisan vote.
Do you see how awful this is beginning to look?
I see the current form of the republican party and its public followers attempting to dilute our American democracy through politically destructive opposition to truth and through unlawfully dangerous personal actions. These personal actions place individual choice over the public need. It is almost too late to reverse the damage left behind by the previous administration that sponsored this self-mutualization. All of this is leading to an American autocracy and an undemocratic minority rule.
Sadly, many politicians have adopted this anti-democratic posture in order to hold their power and have been stalling life-line legislation since 2008 with a senate filibuster that stops healthy discussion and compromise. It is discussion and compromise that results in out American Democracy.
A functioning American democracy depends upon majority rule and is guaranteed by full public voting access.
We must contact our congressmen and senators and insist that they support federally protected full public voting access as defined in H.R.1, the for the people act, and H.R.4, the John Lewis voting rights act. We must put minority rule and autocracy on notice that our majority rules our American Democracy and benefits all our rights.
Letter to Editor:
Watching 13 caskets unload containing young service men and women, who didn't have to die with a President checking his watch between removal from the plane has upset and hurt me. Then, I see Biden's approval rating is about 40 percent! I ask these questions to the 40 percent - do these people know what our government is doing?
1. Do you know that Biden gave the Taliban 80 billion dollars worth of weapons - they are better armed than most nations!
2. Americans were left behind waving their ID at the gate as 2 empty planes left Kabul. We named a national Park after Custer's screw up so maybe Afghanistan will name a national park after Biden!
3. Do these people that comprise the 40 percent stop at a gas station, and know that our keystone pipeline was closed down while a Russian pipeline was opened under Biden's direction?
4. Do these people know what is happening at our southern border with criminals, drugs, and human trafficking coming across per news and video clips from Fox News?
5. Do these 40 percent know what's going on in our schools with the critical race theory teaching our kids to hate America and themselves? Thank God our school boards haven't forgotten Reading, Writing, Math, and Phy. Ed.
6. Do these 40 percent but food, gas, appliance parts, shells, etc. and are aware of the increase in cost?
7. Do these 40 percent know that someone tells the President whether he can take questions and whether he's allowed to answer? What else does this person or persons tell him and who is he or she that is running the country?
8. Just because our local police are able to do their jobs does the 40 percent know what's going on in our cities not too far away that is coming our way?
That 40 percent must have their heads buried in the sand or are listening to the liberal or fake news. Get off that CNN or social media. Turn to Fox or Newsmax if you want facts.
Ronald Reagan warned us that we are one election away from losing our freedom. We might have gone by the point. WHO'S RESPONSIBLE FOR THE 13 LIVES, OUR BORDER, HIGH PRICES, OUR SCHOOLS AND OUR CHURCHES AREN'T SAFE ANYMORE ALONG WITH OUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH! Answer - Those who didn't vote, those who voted for the controlling party that we have now in office and the people who counted the votes. Take responsibility for what has happened and for what's going to happen in the next 3-1/2 years. Every day I think things can't get worse and I'm wrong. I underestimate whoever is running our government, their ability to make matters worse. And now there's a herd of democrats challenging Senator Ron Johnson in the mid term election. All with no platforms and just smear campaigns filled with lies as we see publicized via commercials on TV with no ideas to improve. They will all just be a rubber stamp for Biden and Schumer and the far left socialistic agenda.
A concerned grandfather who would like to see the return of democracy and not communism.
Letter to Editor:
What is wrong with our country, our values are lacking. We have paid the high prices for sports tickets, for Fifth Wheel campers, boats, motorcycles, help pay the outrageous wages for our favorite sports teams. We buy sports team outfits without a thought, but we can't fly our flag proudly in our yards!! Our police, firemen, EMT's, military men and women, nurses and doctors will never make that one year salary they get in their lifetime. They risk their lives daily and don't get the support they should from us all. People say, "I'm so glad my son or daughter isn't in that profession." There might be a time we won't have volunteers to keep us safe and the draft might be back for all our sons and daughters. Will these men and women we raise be up to the task, I don't think so. Show your pride and love for our country and support the ones that keep our families safe from harms way.
Your Talent or Labor of Love
Have you looked at others talents
And admired their abilities?
And Often wondered Lord,
Why couldn't that be me?
But God sees things differently,
For He looks within the heart,
He knows the secret things you do
That are such a vital part.
He sees the endless meals you cook,
The cheerful way you clean your home,
The way you cuddle and council your child,
So they don't feel alone.
And Dad, God sees how unselfishly
You toil from morn till night,
Providing for your family.
And teaching wrong from right.
And then God see's the searching heart,
Who spends time in His dear word
Trying to live a Godly life,
Before those who haven't heard.
And then God see's the true warrior,
Who spends much time in prayer,
Praying and interceding,
A talent so precious and rare.
Now these are just a few talents,
We all can possess a few,
But How we use these talents,
Is completely up to You.
By Joyce Bedora
Recent stories, opinions and photos