THE CITY REBORN FROM THE ASHES OF AMERICA'S MOST DISASTROUS FOREST FIRE
Engineering Required For Federally Funded Projects
Issue Date: March 28, 2022
Funding through a Local Program Projects portion of the recently approved federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) may be available this year or next to help pay for one or more major road improvement projects.
Town Chair Michael Younglove said rural towns are now eligible for federal funding for projects which would be 80% paid for by the federal spending bill, with the remaining 20% to be paid by the town. Younglove said this program will be run by the state Department of Transportation (DOT) and has different requirements than past programs.
One difference is that to be eligible for funding, project designs must be prepared by an engineer, and another difference is that the project cannot use cold mix, only hot mix asphalt. "To make this work for our town we would need to look at large projects," Younglove said. Motion authorizing the town chair to talk to an engineer to find out if they could do anything by the April 1 application deadline for 2022 projects, or if they should look for projects to be done in 2023 was made by Younglove, seconded by Supervisor David Paulsen and approved by Supervisor Dan Groy.
The monthly meeting was called to order at 6 p.m. with all town board members present along with five other town residents.
Those present were told that the town crew had been busy plowing and sanding and they delivered over 450 garbage bins to residents.
The Recycling Report for January and February showed that the town's disposal program handled 10.69 tons of garbage and 1.57 tons of recycling in January and and 8.37 tons of garbage and 1.6 tons of recyclables in February.
No building permits were issued in February but a fire sign was issued for W5109 County Z.
During discussion of Spring Road Weight Restrictions, it was noted that the town normally follows the county. Motion then was approved to follow the county regarding weight restrictions as before.
Payment of bills totaling $27,250.04 was approved. The only correspondence for the meeting was a letter and map regarding survey landmarks.
The next meeting will be the annual meeting at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, April 19, followed by the regular monthly board meeting.